Saturday, February 24, 2007

sometimes the simplest things...

...can have a profound impact on the rest of my day.

I finally got around to buying a new mattress today. I've been sleeping on this crappy futon mattress for the last year and a few months. The whole thing has been caved in for months, and flipping and turning it provide no remedy to the situation. My back has been killing me.

I always get overwhelmed by shit like this, taking all the crap I've been neglecting as one whole thing I've got to fix in my mind and forgetting that it's really just a series of small, simple tasks. Do one little thing, and it's better than it was before. Do one more, and you're closer to your goal. Just keep doing one more thing, get into the rhythm of it, and soon enough you've bought a new mattress, cleaned your room, rearranged the furniture, gotten a vet appointment for the cat, taken your car in to get serviced, posted on your blog, uploaded some pictures, and had coffee with some friends.

I have to learn it over and over, but it's way better than 'Fuck! I've got to fix my entire goddamn life,' which just leads to chain-smoking, video-game binges, and stress-related injuries.

Maybe I'll remember that next time. Ha!

I'm actually excited about going to bed for the first time in years. w00t!

No comments: